The 2017 Small Business of the Year Awards winners are:
- Rural: Miura Contracting – a general and subcontractor that specializes in commercial concrete projects. The company has 15 employees and has been in business for 10 years.
- Urban: Kool Air Industries, LLC – an HVAC ductwork fabricating company that uses lightweight, pre-insulated material. The company has 12 employees and has been in business for two years.
- Nonprofit: Pima Community College Small Business Development Center – the organization provides one-on-one counseling for small business owners to help them grow and thrive. The Small Business Development Center has four employees and has been active for 15 years.
Award winners will be recognized during a Pima County Board of Supervisors meeting in February. Each winner will receive a $500 prize and plaque.
The Pima County Small Business Commission presents the awards each year to small business who stand out in the community. The applicants were assessed on criteria such as company culture, positive impact on Pima County and community involvement.
Past winners of the Small Business of the Year Award:
- 2016: Rural Award – Vistoso Automotive Repair; Urban Award – Plum Windows and Doors
- 2015: Rural Award – Bling by Design; Urban Award – Aztera, LLC.
- 2014: Rural Award – Golden Goose Thrift Store in Catalina; Urban Award – The Planning Center
- 2013: Rural Award – Ajo Transportation; Urban Award – Casa de los Niño’s Thrift store
- 2012: Joint Technical Education District
- 2011: Gasoline Alley, an automobile repair and restoration business in Green Valley
- 2010: Microbusiness Advancement Center