All rue21 locations in Southern Arizona to be shuttered
Warrendale, Pennsylvania-based teen clothing retailer rue21 is closing about one-third of its stores nationwide as it focuses more on its online business. The company made the announcement Saturday, April 15, with a note on the company’s website and Facebook.
As reported earlier this month, the company entered into forbearance over missing interest and amortization payments. At that time, the retailer’s debt was leveraged at more than 10 times its capital structure, and it was facing high interest rates while looking for new funding. The company’s debt was estimated around $824 million at the beginning of April, according to a Debtwire.com report.
Rue21 has more than 1,200 stores across the United States and will be shuttering nearly 400 stores, including 14 in Arizona and all six in southern Arizona, leaving it with more than 700 stores in 48 states.
In the Facebook post, it called the decision to close the stores “difficult but necessary.” Like many brick-and-mortar retailers, it has been battling declining mall traffic amid strong competition online.
The company didn’t say how soon the stores will close, though its website is promoting store-closing sales in the following Arizona stores:
- Tucson Mall, 4500 N. Oracle Road
- Tucson Spectrum, 5373 S. Calle Santa Cruz
- Foothills Mall, 7401 N. LaCholla Boulevard
- The Promenade at Casa Grande, 1269 N. Promenade Parkway
- Nogales Plaza Shopping Center, 460 N. Grand Court Plaza
- The Mall At Sierra Vista, 2200 El Mercado Loop
- Outlets At Anthem, 4250 W. Anthem Way
- University Plaza, 1131 S. Plaza Way
- 5601 Highway 95 N.
- Mesa Riverview, 849 N. Dobson Road
- Rim Country Mall, 400 E. Highway 260
- Lake Pleasant Tower Center, 25546 N. Lake Pleasant Parkway
- Queen Creek Marketplace, 21506 S. Ellsworth Loop #108
- San Luis Shopping Center, 582 E. Piceno Drive
To check for store closures go to https://stores.rue21.com/search.html