Grant will fund new archery backstops at two Pima County ranges


Arizona Game and Fish Department to renovate the archery backstops at three walking courses at the Tucson Mountain Park Archery Range as well as those at the Southeast Regional Park Archery Range

Pima County will match the funding in money or labor and will add about $8,000 more to complete the project, Leonard Ordway, Shooting Sports program manager, said. The County receives 90% of the grant funding at the start of the fiscal year (July 1), and the remaining 10% upon project completion, expected to be late March 2020.

The grant will fund 42 new backstops, also called archery butts, at Tucson Mountain Park and 30 at Southeast Regional Park. The new archery butts have a 20-year life expectancy versus the fabric-covered, straw bale design now in use, which only lasts about three years.

The Southeast Regional Park Archery Range is open Thursdays and Fridays through Sept. 30 from 7 to 11 a.m. and Saturdays and Sundays from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Hours change Oct. 1. The Tucson Mountain Park Archery Range is open daily from 7 a.m. to dusk.

Daily fee is $3 per archer; youth under 16 may shoot for free, but must be accompanied and supervised by an adult. An annual archery range pass is $25 per calendar year.

For more information, check the Shooting Sports website